Last updated on November 28, 2020
LET’S NOT TOLERATE CHILD ABUSE! CALL 1929
Hithawathi would like to keep you informed of the Child Line ‘1929’, which is free and a 24 hour hotline operated by National Child Protection Authority (NCPA) of Sri Lanka. This government body works for the protection of the rights of all children in general, especially for the more vulnerable and marginalized children of the society, including:
- Children affected by physical / sexual / emotional abuse within their family, schools and other institutions.
- Children who need emotional support and guidance.
- Street children living alone on the streets.
- Child labourers – domestics in particular.
- Victims of child trafficking.
- Children in conflict with the law.
- Children abandoned by parents or guardians.
- Children who are victims of substance abuse – child addicts
- Children affected by conflict and disaster, including internally displaced children.
- Children whose families are undergoing/ have undergone traumatic incidences.
Last year the fact that NCPA is deeply concerned about the Delays of Laws, which pave the way for violation of the right to Fair Trial of Child Victims was emphasized.
Moreover, NCPA Legal Unit shows their willingness to facilitate legal representation of child victims and work towards speedy disposition of court cases. That means the Child Line is open, if such legal assistance is needed.
Nowadays, the child abuse cases may take place on cyber space too. For instance, strong evidence related to child abuse can be found on some websites. Those incidents too can be reported to 1929 immediately to save the children, who will be the next generation of Sri Lanka.