Last updated on January 17, 2022
Notifications are updates about activity on Facebook. You can’t turn off notifications entirely, but you can go to your notifications settings to change what you’re notified about and how you’re notified.
- The types of notifications that you may receive depend on what platform you’re using. Learn more about notification types.
- You can turn notifications on or off for specific people or Pages you follow. Learn more about these settings.
The types of notifications depends on the platform you’re using.
Desktop and mobile
- Red alert notifications: Notifications that appear above . When you have a new notification, a red bubble will appear with the number of new notifications you’ve received.
- Email notifications: Notifications you receive via email
- Push notifications: Notifications that appear when you aren’t actively using Facebook.The types of notifications depends on the platform you’re using.
- Pop-up notifications: Notifications that pop up on your screen when you’re logged in to Facebook and a friend interacts with you (e.g. posts on your timeline). Click the notification to see the story or click X to close the notification.
- Text notifications: Notifications you receive via mobile text messaging (SMS).