Last updated on December 4, 2020
If your romantic relationship has ended, there are some things you can do on Facebook to help:
- Change how much you see from your former partner
- Change your profile picture
- Archive your message thread
- Turn off the scrapbook sharing for your former partner
- Change your password
- Turn on tag approvals for posts and photos that you’re tagged in
- Block or unfriend your former partner
- Block or unfollow your former partner on Instagram
- Taking care of yourself emotionally is an important part of recovering from a breakup. Facebook worked with relationship experts and clinical psychologists and they came up with a few tips:
- Reach out to people you trust for support.
- Take care of yourself, recognize what you need and get plenty of rest.
- Stay active, both physically and mentally.
- Try something you’ve always wanted to do or tag along with a friend.
For more advice, Facebook recommends you to visit the American Psychological Association, or the Help Guide Organization.
If you feel you’re in immediate danger, contact your local authorities. If someone is harassing you on Facebook, report them.
Learn more about staying safe on Facebook.